Thursday, August 18, 2022

The future is accessible

I can't tell you how many articles I read that have otherwise good points about disability but then refer to wheelchair users as confined to their mobility equipment. I'm not confined or bound to my wheelchair. It's literally designed to enable me to move.
~Emily Ladau


Happy Art Thursday! I wear glasses pretty much all the time. I would say that I am a glasses-wearer; I wouldn't say that I am confined to glasses or glasses-bound. I get why "wheelchair-user" is preferred. Today, wheelchairs and their users:

Robert Indermaur, "Einwurf zum Spiel", 2007, (two wheelchair drivers), Switzerland
photo by Kamahele

Murale, wiadukt na skrzyżowaniu Wolskiej i al. Prymasa Tysiąclecia, Warszawa
photo by Qkiel

Self-propelled wheelchair of paralyzed watchmaker Stephan Farffler from 1655 built by him at the age of 22
Unknown author

Sculpture, Kemperbergerweg (Siza Dorpgroep), Arnhem, the Netherlands
by Ronald Tolman
photo by FakirNL

W-Skers (W-Skers) dwarf - ambassador of the initiative “Wrocław without barriers” from Wrocław Town Hall on Rynek-Ratusz 1
photo by Pnapora

William Groulx, U.S. wheelchair rugby captain, holds the ball as members of the British team try to take it during the 2012 Paralympic Games in London, Sept. 5, 2012
photo by U.S. Air Force Master Sgt. Sean M. Worrell


1 comment:

HWY said...

"Wheelchair-user" is definitely a better term.

I'd like to give credit to those grocery stores and department stores that offer courtesy motorized wheel chairs with baskets attached. Really nice idea.