Thursday, April 7, 2022

Monet's Water Lilies

It took me a long time to understand my water lilies...I planted them for pleasure, and grew them without thinking of painting them...And then, all of a sudden, I had the revelation of the enchantment of my pond. I took up my palette.
~Claude Monet


I can't help but still be thinking about perspective since IMPERFECT II just came out. Here we have Impressionism-founder Claude Monet: in addition to expanding other people's perspectives on what art could be, as you can see from the above quote, Monet's own perspective also changed. He went from not thinking that his water lilies were a suitable subject for art to painting them over and over. Here are a few:

The Japanese Footbridge and the Water Lily Pool, Giverny, 1899
by Claude Monet


Water lilies, 1906
by Claude Monet


Water lilies
by Claude Monet


2 comments:

Pop said...

Interesting story about Monet's change of perspective...perfect connection with your IMPERFECT II book.

I love these paintings by Monet...but there's something about that footbridge that makes it special.

Elisabeth said...

I love that quote! I've been able to see some of his water lily paintings a couple of times in my life, and it's wonderful to have this little fact to enhance my understanding of his work. Thanks for sharing it!