Thursday, February 17, 2022

Swing at ease

There is an unreasonable joy to be had from the observation of small birds going about their bright, oblivious business.
~Grant Hutchison


The Great Backyard Bird Count is from February 18–21 so I was hoping to have a bird poem to share, and lo and behold, Sylvia Plath came through. Here's a spread from her Bed Book, illustrated by Quentin Blake:

Now a gentler Bed
Is a good deal more
The sort of Bed
Bird-Watchers adore—

A kind of hammock
Between two tall trees
Where you can swing
In the leaves at ease

And count all the birds—
Wren, robin and rook—
And write their names
In a Naming Book.

Around Bird-Watching Beds
You hang nests of straw
For hummingbirds, hoopoes
And the great macaw.

All the birds would flock
(If I’m not mistaken)
To your berries and cherries
And bits of bacon.

*******************

Small Reads for Brighter Days has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Laura!

16 comments:

Robyn Hood Black said...

Oh, we're on the same birdie wavelength this weekend, my friend! :0) Thanks for the great post. Quentin Blake - how I love the work of Quentin Blake...
Hugs and binocular nods from here.

KatApel - katswhiskers.wordpress.com said...

Delightful poem! I would add willie wagtail, magpie and peewee to that list. :) (They're my frequent house visitors. All of them black and white, actually. But we have other, colourful varieties who visit the dam.)

Michelle Kogan said...

Such a treasure-filled post Tabatha. I didn't know Sylvia Plath had written anything like this. And how perfect to have Quentin Blake's playful art with her words, I'm a big fan of his, lovely! Hope to catch views of some birds this weekend. We've had quite a few black capped chickadees around, I hope our cold temps won't keep them away, thanks!

Elisabeth said...

I always associate Sylvia Plath with her darker poetry that was my first introduction to her in school. Thanks for sharing this light and delightful poem - perfect inspiration for bird watchers (and counters) everywhere!

Bridget Magee said...

Thanks for sharing Plath's lighter side, Tabatha. We have our fair share of 'hawkward' moments watching backyard birds. ;)

Irene Latham said...

Bits of bacon. Really? I have never fed birds bacon! That hammock scene is lovely. Thank you. xo

Linda B said...

I just read Robyn's post. Bird poems mean spring is coming. I don't have a hammock but I do have a chair under a tree! Thanks for the Plath poem & the Quentin Blake illustration, Tabatha!

Janice Scully said...

What a fun poem. I think bits of bacon was part of a fantasy meal perhaps cooked up by the poet? Maybe not.

laurasalas said...

Now I'm pining for a hammock, berries, and some bacon, too! This is wonderful!

jama said...

Perfect poem to gear up for the bird count. Had no idea Blake illustrated a Plath poem. No bacon for our birds -- all for us. :D

Carol Varsalona said...

Another bird count post-I am delighted to hear about it and happy to read the poem with a great last line.

Karen Eastlund said...

Love this, Tabatha. Quentin Blake always makes me smile, and the poem is pure whimsy! Thanks for sharing.

Margaret Simon said...

I saw a woodpecker briefly at the feeder that could not hold him. I should write it down in a book of birds. Thanks for this sweet poem.

Mary Lee said...

Oh, for a hammock from which to watch the birds!

Mary Lee said...

PS -- Thanks for Crip Camp. It was AMAZING, and I've passed the link along.

Ruth said...

A Bird-Watching Bed! Yes please! And wow, that is NOT what I picture when I think of Sylvia Plath. Today was an absolutely fabulous birding day for me, with, among many other wonderful things, two new hummingbirds!