Saturday, December 18, 2021

A different kind of holiday letter

To write is human, to receive a letter: Divine!
~Susan Lendroth



Maybe some of you would be interested in Toni Bernhard's How a Holiday Letter From a Person Who Is Chronically Ill Might Read:
I want to start by saying that I’m aware of how this time of year can be stressful for everyone, regardless of the state of their health. People often feel overwhelmed by everything they need to get done. Others may have such fond memories of past holidays that they find themselves feeling blue this time of year (this can happen to me). I just want you to know that I recognize that I don’t have a monopoly on stress and frustration and sadness just because I’m chronically ill. However, my limitations are a particular challenge during the holidays because they remind me how much my life has changed since I became ill over 20 years ago.

read the rest here

1 comment:

Carol Labuzzetta said...

I read this with interest, not because of illness of my own, but to better understand illness in others. Even though not ill, the holidays are hard. This author acknowledges that it is for many reasons. I thank you for sharing this Tabitha. I consider myself a realist and this letter was written from a very real perspective.

P.S. I also like the photo of the conifer needles.

Carol from The Apples in My Orchard.