Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Intact



Treasure by Nick Kenrick

Krista Tippett and Rumi today:

I don’t think joy is a privilege. I think freedom can be a privilege; I think luxury and comfort can be a privilege. But joy is a piece of basic human resilience. It’s a human birthright. And in fact, one of the paradoxical and amazing things about our species is how people are able to get through the worst, also, with their joy muscle intact. So I think, if we want to call the world not just to justice but to joy and to flourishing, of which joy is a part, we have to find those ways and those places where that is also what we are finding and stirring and keeping alive in others.
~Krista Tippett


Do you know what you are?
You are a manuscript oƒ a divine letter.
You are a mirror reflecting a noble face.
This universe is not outside of you.
Look inside yourself;
everything that you want,
you are already that.
~Rumi


2 comments:

HWY said...

Knowing your "joy muscle" can withstand bad times is a grand thought.

The Rumi poem is encouraging, too.

author amok said...

I'm feeling the joy muscle too. I like the implication that joy, like a muscle, gets stronger the more we practice it.