Friday, February 27, 2015

Calm soul of all things!



Two peace-savoring poems today. The first is by Australian poet Louisa Lawson (1848-1920).

Give Me Only Peace
by Louisa Lawson

Rank with all its dower,
Pomp with all its train,
Wealth with all its power,
Give I these again.

Race with all its story,
Place with all its ease,
Fame with all its glory,
Give I also these.

Ask I for them? Never!
Let their mem'ry cease.
Take them all for ever—
Leave me only peace.

******************

An excerpt from Lines Written in Kensington Gardens
by Matthew Arnold

Calm soul of all things! make it mine
To feel, amid the city’s jar,
That there abides a peace of thine,
Man did not make, and cannot mar.

******************

I am giving away a copy of Herbs for Common Ailments: How to Make and Use Herbal Remedies for Home Health Care by herbal pioneer Rosemary Gladstar. It's from Storey Basics' Books for Self-Reliance series. If you would like to try making your own remedies, send me an email at tabatha(at)tabathayeatts(dot)com with your name and mailing address. I'll pick an entry at random on March 9th.


Heidi at My Juicy Little Universe has the Poetry Friday round-up today.

14 comments:

Linda B said...

I like the first one, but especially like that "to feel amid the city's jar"-sweet words, Tabatha.

Linda B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jama said...

I agree with Ms. Lawson. Perfect antidote for winter and world weariness. . .

Doraine said...

My favorite is Matthew Arnold. Aren't we all looking for that peace man did not make and cannot mar? Lovely.

Robyn Hood Black said...

Ahhhh... my shoulders relaxed just seeing the picture, and then those soothing lines.... Thank you for sharing both poems. Important reminders, so eloquently conveyed.
(And I love those Storey books! Off to send you an email... ;0) )

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

I'll have to share your post with my wife - she'd love the imagery of both of these! (I especially like Lawson's)

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

When I saw that last name of Lawson, I had to google to find out if she was related to the iconic Aussie poet Henry Lawson– sure enough! Henry was Louisa's son! Who knew? Other than you, maybe. :)

I hope you find your calm and peace, Tabatha.

Irene Latham said...

Thank you for these, Tabatha! Wishing you peace today. xo

Karin Fisher-Golton said...

These are lovely, thank you. I especially relate to the excerpt from Lines Written in Kensington Gardens. I think of peaceful moments in Central Park in New York, Golden Gate Park in San Francisco and zócolos in towns in Mexico.

Heidi Mordhorst said...

"When I breathe in,
I breathe in peace;
When I breathe out,
I breathe out love."

Working on keeping the inner (and outer!) peace--these poems will help. Thanks, Tabatha!

GatheringBooks said...

Your post is a veritable balm for the tired soul, dear Tabatha. Loved reading everything here. :)

Tara said...

I am reaching for the peace in Matthew Arnold's words - I think the whole world is aching for such a peace these days.

Diane Mayr said...

A lovely kind of peace. We take what we can get since the other kind appears to be unobtainable. A local community college has an annual peace poem contest for students and teachers. Maybe the idea will spread! http://www.necc.mass.edu/academics/enrichment/service-learning/peace-poetry/

Karen Edmisten said...

I love both of these, Tabatha. I especially love the line from Arnold -- Calm soul of all things!