Monday, June 3, 2013

Hungarian Dance #5

I wish I could write to you as tenderly as I love you and tell you all the good things that I wish you. You are so infinitely dear to me, dearer than I can say... If things go on much longer as they are at present I shall have sometime to put you under glass or to have you set in gold. If only I could live in the same town with you and my parents... Do write me a nice letter soon. Your letters are like kisses.
~ Johannes Brahms, letter to Clara Schumann (31 May 1856)


Out of all Brahms' work, his most famous might be his lullaby:

Lullaby and good night,
With roses bedight,
With lilies o'er spread
Is baby's wee bed.
Lay thee down now and rest,
May thy slumber be blessed.
~ Wiegenlied: Guten Abend, gute Nacht


For Music Monday, though, I'll share a personal favorite:


To me, Brahms' eyes look intelligent and thoughtful. But before we get too sentimental about him, I'll leave you with one last quote:

If there is anyone here whom I have not insulted, I beg his pardon.
~Johannes Brahms


2 comments:

Linda B said...

It was lovely seeing all the pictures and portraits of him, Tabatha. His face became much fuller, didn't it? Thanks for a 'wake-up' this am!

Diane Mayr said...

Ha, ha, love that last quote!

bedight? Strange word, I had to look it up: to array or adorn.

I always learn something new here, Tabatha!