Monday, October 13, 2014

An Occasion of Wild Revelry

Classical music isn't just music. It's a personal diary. An uncensored confession in the dead of night. A baring of the soul.
~Marisha Pessl


My younger daughter's orchestra is rehearsing the bacchanale from Samson et Dalila by Camille Saint-Saëns. It's a wonderful piece. In the video below, the Youth Orchestra of Caracas plays the heck out of it:


P.S. What's a "bacchanale"? It's an occasion of wild revelry, named for Bacchus, the Greek god of wine.

4 comments:

Irene Latham said...

I enjoyed this so much! Will suggest to my son's various orchestras. :) What instrument does your daughter play??

Tabatha said...

So glad you enjoyed it! Both of my daughters play French horn and sing. What about your son?

Pop said...


Even Camille would have given that performance an ovation; it was wonderful indeed!

And I do believe that the conductor's obvious enthusiasm and joy carried through to the players.

I can see Elena getting caught up in the music, too. :-)

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Wow! What an exciting piece to be a part of!