Thursday, September 22, 2011

Tossing Around the Pigskin

Speed, strength, and the inability to register pain immediately.
~Reggie Williams, when asked his greatest strengths as a football player


As you might have noticed, I love soccer. I enjoy watching basketball, baseball, and fencing. But football? Not so much.

I grew up in a college town. Every time the home team scored, they would shoot a cannon to celebrate. You could hear it far and wide. My favorite thing about football season was being somewhere other than the stadium and hearing the boom of the cannon. I enjoyed knowing that we scored without actually having to watch it.

My challenge to myself for this week: football art.

Monday Night Football
by Anthony Falbo

Soldier Field
by Anastasia Mak

St. Louis Rams Football Player
by Tommervik

A vintage postcard

A vintage poster

The Football Players
by Henri Rousseau (1844–1910)

Black Dog Football Club
by Gemini Studio


2 comments:

madelyn said...

Sometimes I think I can hear that cannon from HERE!!!

Pop said...

These are wonderful pieces of art. Isn't it interesting what can spark such creativity!

I remember the cannon, too, as you might have guessed (since I lived in the same town as Tabatha :-). It was an exciting sound, whether you were in the stadium or listening from afar. And I remember, not so fondly, NOT hearing it, too.