Thursday, February 15, 2018

Sweet, brave Poetry

As long as I live I shall always be My Self - and no other, Just me.
~Walter de la Mare


Sharing two poems by Walter de la Mare this week, including a science-related one. No chemistry, though :-)

The Happy Encounter
By Walter De La Mare

I saw sweet Poetry turn troubled eyes
On shaggy Science nosing in the grass,
For by that way poor Poetry must pass
On her long pilgrimage to Paradise.
He snuffled, grunted, squealed; perplexed by flies,
Parched, weatherworn, and near of sight, alas,
From peering close where very little was
In dens secluded from the open skies.

But Poetry in bravery went down,
And called his name, soft, clear, and fearlessly;
Stooped low, and stroked his muzzle overgrown;
Refreshed his drought with dew; wiped pure and free
His eyes: and lo! laughed loud for joy to see
In those grey deeps the azure of her own.

********

All But Blind
By Walter De La Mare

All but blind
In his chambered hole
Gropes for worms
The four-clawed Mole.

All but blind
In the evening sky
The hooded Bat
Twirls softly by.

All but blind
In the burning day
The Barn-Owl blunders
On her way.

And blind as are
These three to me,
So, blind to Some-one
I must be.

********

Check It Out has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Jone!

16 comments:

Irene Latham said...

Oh the blindness we each have... thank you for these, Tab! xo

Linda B said...

I guess "poetry in bravery went down" to learn about that blindness. Wonderful juxtaposition of the two poems, Tabatha. Thanks!

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Heavens! That blue-eyed Poetry ministering to grizzled old grey Science!

I shall write the companion, in which grey-eyed, analytical Science preaches her bewondered observation to flighty, thinskinned Poetry with his eyes red-rimmed with navel-gazing.

Tabatha said...

Heidi, your comment is a poem in itself!
Once we have both sets of stereotypes covered, who will write us a third take?

Kay said...

Two lovely poems!

jama said...

Nice pairing!! Haven't read any Walter de la Mare in ages. Love the second one especially. :)

Michelle Kogan said...

I love the personalities that poetry and science personify in the first poem. The second is wonderful too, thanks for sharing Walter De La Mare, Tabatha, I wasn't familiar with him! I went on to hunt for more of his poems over at the Poetry Foundation where they likened him to William Blake–I'll have to make a path to more of his poems!

Mary Lee said...

Why can't science and poetry both be clear-eyed and determined and strong, leading the march that results in the flabby, fork-tongued politicians being chased out of office?

Diane Mayr said...

"All But Blind" is great, I don't think I've seen it before! I've been a fan of moles since I read Wind in the Willows in 5th grade.

Ruth said...

I loved Walter de la Mare when I was a child, and it looks as though I love him still. :-)

Jane @ www.raincitylibrarian.ca said...

I've never read any Walter de la Mare, thank you for the much-needed introduction!

Linda Mitchell said...

I love this line....it should go on Brenda Harsham's list of what Poetry is: called his name, soft, clear, and fearlessly

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Good to take some time to contemplate blindness and perspective. And hear hear to Mary Lee's comment!

Liz Steinglass said...

Oh I love All But Blind. Thank you for sharing it. And I like the idea of personifying Poetry. It's an interesting way to write about poetry. Happy long weekend.

Unknown said...

Walter de la Mare is a terrific poet. I love his poems. Glad to be introduced to these two.

Ymatruz said...

Lovely poems. Thank you for sharing them. I so love "I saw sweet Poetry turn troubled eyes".