Friday, May 12, 2017

Advice Songs

We're not just gathered here on a lovely May day in an ordinary auditorium at SF state. We're all strapped in, seated together on a gigantic ball whirling around the sun at 67,000 miles per hour, nested in a galaxy hurtling through the depths of space and time at 1.3 million miles per hour.
~Kirk Schneider



Hurtling through space

I'm featuring lyrics for Poetry Fridays during the month of May. This week, since my oldest baby is graduating from college, the spotlight is on advice songs. Last year, when her younger brother graduated from high school, I shared Humble and Kind. (When you get where you're goin' / Don't forget turn back around / Help the next one in line / Always stay humble and kind)

When you're chewing on life's gristle / Don't grumble, give a whistle
Eric Idle: Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
(This video from a talk show made me laugh until I cried. I'll admit that I am easily amused.)

You don't need it / So don't eat it
The Cramps: Don't eat stuff off the sidewalk
(With a name like that, it sounds like they are speaking from experience...)

Don't ski naked down Mt. Everest / With lilies up your nose
The Monochrome Set: Ten Don'ts For Honeymooners

Good advice costs nothing, and it's worth the price. /
I sincerely doubt / That the world could do without /
My good advice.

Allan Sherman: Good Advice

When the dog bites / When the bee stings / When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things / And then I don't feel so bad

Julie Andrews: My Favorite Things (Here's Mary J. Blige, who does a great job covering it.)

This isn't exactly an advice song, but "Be kind to me, or treat me mean -- I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine" sounds like something to aspire to.
Fiona Apple: Extraordinary Machine

I've never gotten taller making someone else feel small /
If you ain't got nothing nice to say, don't say nothing at all

Kacey Musgraves: Biscuits

Today is where your book begins / The rest is still unwritten
Natasha Bedingfield: Unwritten

Okay, there's nothing interesting about these lyrics, but I like the sentiment of the song:
Kygo ft. Ella Henderson: Here for You

Halestorm: Dear Daughter



**********

What are your favorite advice songs? I know there were plenty I didn't have time or space to include ("I hope you dance," anyone?).

Tara at A Teaching Life has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Tara!

18 comments:

Irene Latham said...

I must say, Tabatha, we are so often on the same wavelength, it makes me smile and smile! Congratulations to your girl! What an exciting time! And I appreciate that you did NOT include "I hope you dance." ! SO overdone... but anyway! I will email you about something related later this weekend, when I am home again. Enjoy that dear daughter! And thank you for the light you bring to this space always. xo

Anonymous said...

A great advice song all the way through:

Keep Holding On by Avril Lavigne


And GREAT BIG CONGRATS to Ariana. :-)

Linda B said...

Congratulations to your daughter, Tabatha. I loved hearing all your "advice" songs, and although not quite advice, know that you might be singing "You Are My Sunshine" to your daughter during this special time. It's a favorite of our family. Enjoy all the days!

Jane @ Raincity Librarian said...

"You've got to get up every morning
With a smile on your face
And show the world all the love in your heart
Then people gonna treat you better
You're gonna find, yes you will
That you're beautiful, as you feel"

Wise words from good old Carol King!

Congratulations to your daughter!!

jama said...

Congrats to your daughter! What a milestone. :)

Thanks for all these advice song links!

Kay said...

Congratulations to your daughter. I loved the collection of advice from songs you've compiled. I'm not sure it counts as an advice song, but I do want to pass on the message from Katy Perry's Firework:

You just gotta ignite the light
And let it shine
Just own the night
Like the Fourth of July
'Cause baby you're a firework
Come on show 'em what your worth
Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh!"
As you shoot across the sky-y-y
Baby you're a firework
Come on let your colors burst
Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh!"
You're gonna leave 'em fallin' down down down

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Somehow I doubt eating stuff off the sidewalk is anything you need to worry about with Ariana, but I do agree with any and all versions of the "here for you" sentiment. And that's probably as much as I can say without getting all verklempt.

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

PS. Congratulations, Ariana!

Anonymous said...

I can only guess how much love and appreciation these posts get from your kids. Forget the finger on the pulse - you are the blood running through their veins. Such a beautiful, heartfelt post.

Congratulations to Ariana - and much love to her wise and wonderful Mama.

Unknown said...

Congrats to Ariana. What a milestone, and what a great list of advice songs...I also like This is My Fight Song. Don't know the artist.

michelle kogan said...

Thanks for this rich post Tabatha, I'm smiling and laughing from Eric Idle's song-wonderful!!! Congrats to your daughter on graduating! My son just graduated from college too!

Mary Lee said...

Yes, I have to admit, I was hoping for I Hope You Dance. I also like Forever Young, Accentuate the Positive, The Climb, Walk Tall, Fight Song, Try Everything, If You're Going Through Hell, 59th Street Bridge Song...(I may or may not have a whole playlist of these songs that pump me up when I'm down!!!)

Mrs. Wyman said...

Love how you wove all of these together into life's little lessons. Great idea! Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/blog/

Ruth said...

Congratulations!

Violet N. said...

Tabatha, you have the best way of sneaking in advice. Love it! And congratulations to your graduating daughter.

Tabatha said...

Thank you, everyone, for the good wishes and song suggestions! I loved hearing them :-)

Linda Mitchell said...

Many, many congratulations! You are a wonderful Mom for doing this for your daughter....and on Mother's Day weekend. You are so fortunate to have each other. I love the songs and the advice and the tremendous support you are to your daughter.

Bridget Magee said...

What a beautiful compilation for your daughter, Tabatha! I love the advice/song: Today is where your book begins / The rest is still unwritten ~ Natasha Bedingfield: Unwritten. True for all of us, not just when we move on to a new chapter in our life. Congrats to your baby girl! =)