Friday, November 4, 2016

Poe-tent

Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence.
~Edgar Allan Poe


As we saw with the recent awarding of the Nobel Prize for Literature to Bob Dylan, music and poetry really do go together.* Today's theme is music inspired by the words of Edgar Allan Poe.

The Raven from NEVERMORE - The Imaginary Life and Mysterious Death of Edgar Allan Poe:



The Bells by Rachmaninov, performed by the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic:



Jura Margulis plays André Caplet - La Masque de la Mort Rouge (Mask of the Red Death), transcripted for solo piano :



But maybe you should hear Masque of the Red Death first:



If you want to see a complete list of EAPoe-inspired music, it's here. (I'll bet the list is longer than you expected!)

* Don't forget to enter the Orchestral Etsy giveaway!

Writing the World for Kids has the round-up. Thanks, Laura!

11 comments:

Doraine Bennett said...

You never cease to amaze me with your music/poetry connections! Love "The Bells".

Brenda Harsham said...

Love Poe, but I have to take him in small doses.

Linda B said...

Eating my cereal while listening, Tabatha. The Masque of the Red Death is quite something, tense like the story. I had no idea there was "music according to Poe"! Thank you!

jama said...

Didn't realize there was so much Poe-inspired music! I have you to thank for enriching my music education. :)

Carol Varsalona said...

Tabatha, Poe and music-I am surprised! Thanks for the lengthy list. I enjoyed your sharing of music and read-aloud. This is perfect for this time of year.

Violet Nesdoly said...

Oh my, Tabatha, I thought Halloween was over. Just listened to all 18+ minutes of the Red Death story. {{Shivers}}

Catherine said...

I loved being terrorized by Vincent Price in movie versions of Poe's stories when I was a teenager, but I quickly got over that. These are chilling, Tabatha!

Diane Mayr said...

Like Catherine, I saw many a Poe movie in my youth. We were read Poe stories in grade school, too. It's a wonder I survived all the creepiness. Hey, isn't it funny that both you and Kurious Kitty shared raven poems today?

laurasalas said...

Oooh, I LOVE Poe. And haunting music is usually my favorite. Thanks for these links--I'm listening the eerie Nevermore now:>)

Tara Smith said...

I always learn something new when I visit here, Tabatha - you have such a talent for curating music and literature.

Mary Lee said...

What fun! Thanks for the variety and the Po-education!