Thursday, August 18, 2016

Holding you up to my ear

One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach — waiting for a gift from the sea.
Anne Morrow Lindbergh


I turned to my trusted associate (my younger daughter) to ask what I should do for Art Thursday and she said "shells." So here we go...

A 18th century bronze rocaille fountain with two putti
by Carolus

Selection of Shells Arranged on Shelves
By Alexandre-Isidore Leroy De Barde

Nautilus shells to commemorate Horatio Nelson, at Monmouth Museum, Wales
photo by John Cummings

Festons, masques et rosettes de coquillages
by Jan van Kessel the Elder

New systematic Conchylien Cabinet
by Friedrich Heinrich Wilhelm Martini and Johann Hieronymus Chemnitz
By Internet Archive Book Images

The Miraculous Adventures of Baron Münchhausen
by Gottfried Franz (1846-1905)

The Scallop, Maggi Hambling, Aldeburgh
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"

Silver writing set, Kunsthistorisches Museum
This silver casket with various writing utensils was made by the famous Nuremberg goldmsith Wenzel Jamnitzer (1507/08-1585), who frequently worked for the House of Habsburg

Kahelelani (Niihau) shell lei, Hawaii State Art Museum


1 comment:

Pop said...


These are wonderful! (Thanks to Elena for suggesting the theme. :-)

I really can't pick a favorite here. As I went down the screen, I would pick one, then the next, then another.

(Though, I must say I didn't know those little sprite creatures were called Puttis. Thanks for the education, too.)