Thursday, July 14, 2016

Horseshoes

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.
~Proverb


I had a difficult time deciding what to feature this week to honor my father-in-law. He lived in New York, Virginia, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire, so I considered art from these states, and I thought about spotlighting his favorite food (chocolate). My husband inadvertently gave me the idea to celebrate his dad's favorite game: horseshoes. So much more variety than you might expect!

No. 086, part 3: Autumn, One Hundred Famous Views of Edo
by Utagawa Hiroshige

Horseshoe Doorway
photo by floato

Horseshoes stuck in a tree
photo by Michael Beck

Horseshoe Bend 01
photo by Graeme Maclean

Horseshoe
photo by locomotive8

Horseshoes
photo by Kevin

Horseshoes are a common element in heraldry (coats of arms). For instance:
Polish coat of arms pl:Bogdanowicz I

I looked up why horseshoes are lucky and found this explanation.

3 comments:

HWY said...


Fascinating collection of very cool depictions, Tabatha. And an excellent way of celebrating your father-in-law through one of his favorite pastimes.

Loved the horseshoe doorway...and had to smile at the thought of how those who think that a horseshoe should be placed "heels up" would feel about entering this house.

And the explanation was very interesting.

author amok said...

What a cool collection, Tabatha. Horseshoes remind me of visiting my grandparents when I was young. They had a small stable, which they rented out. I loved to watch the farrier caring for the horses' hooves.

Keri said...

As a teen touring Amish country in PA with a school group, I bought a painted horseshoe with silk flowers attached to it. It hung in my room for a long time, and I remember the admonishment to hang it properly for good luck!