Friday, April 8, 2016

I’ll take three

Months are different in college, especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months—they're like dog months.
~Rainbow Rowell


Hi y'all! The month of April in the house of a family with a high school senior can be kind of wacky. It is in our case! Deciding where to go to college is basically a happy decision, but it feels stressful anyway. Rural or urban? Small or big? Free or not free? (No-brainer, right?) I have been quite distracted by the hubbub.

Some poem videos for your enjoyment:





Revelation, a Visual Poem. from sebastien montaz-rosset on Vimeo.


The title of this post is from "Valentine for Ernest Mann" by Naomi Shihab Nye:

You can’t order a poem like you order a taco.
Walk up to the counter, say, “I’ll take two”
and expect it to be handed back to you
on a shiny plate.

~~~~~~~

Laura at Writing the World for Kids is hosting Poetry Friday today. Thanks, Laura!

Addendum: Here's a link to Hope Anita Smith's blog.

9 comments:

jama said...

My brother's family has been going through the same thing, with the deciding about college thing. Yes, it's quite stressful but exciting at the same time.

Thanks for the videos. The third one has some amazing images!

laurasalas said...

I love that quote from Naomi's poem, although...sometimes I think you can. At least, if you ask yourself to write a poem, sometimes what comes out is fast food, but every once in a while, you DO get a poem. Anyway, thanks for the videos, and good luck with the college decision!

katswhiskers said...

If it's any comfort, you do make it through that final year, Tabatha. It's a biggun. And then suddenly... it's finished. Clear skies and an open road. Enjoy the journey.

Donna Smith said...

Love Naomi's poem for April6, 2011. Lots to think about in it.

Mary Lee said...

Thank you for introducing me to Hope Smith! I just subscribed on YouTube and I'm plotting a Poetry Month project for next year's class!

cb hanek said...

What a generous set of gifts to us as you minister to your high-schooler! Hope Smith is a treasure; thank you for introducing her to me. As I listened to her rendition of the first poem, I was struck by Nye's notion that "poems hide," and I couldn't help connecting that to your joyous plight. I'm sure that, like a poem, the "answers hide" concerning which school to ultimately pick. I suspect that each different set of questions will lead to a different answer. So, my prayer for you and your family is that you will be inspired to ask the most relevant, fruitful questions based on who you are and who your high-schooler is, and will be at peace when what seems hidden among so many options stands out/reveals itself/is chosen, and it seems "right," like the words of a poem that fit together to reveal and confirm something that was--and to some extent, still is--hidden. God bless you! Happy school (and poem) questing!

Irene Latham said...

Love the videos! And yes, it's easy to get caught in that particular hubbub... easy to get seduced by all the flash and important to listen to your gut... also to know it's not forever. If a college doesn't "fit" you can transfer! (Somehow that took the pressure off of the "big" decision for our family.) Thinking of you! xo

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Thanks for the poetry break, Tabatha. I forget sometimes how enjoyable it is to hear others read poems aloud.

Sally Murphy said...

Good luck with the big year and the big decisions. I had that last year. And thanks for the videos. Lovely to hear AND see.