Monday, January 25, 2016

I've Got This Match

I've got this friend
I don't think you know her
She sings a simple song
It sounds a lot like his
~The Civil Wars


Do you think she's talking about a friend, or is she really talking about herself? Today for Music Monday we have Poem-Song Match-Ups: Communication Difficulties Edition.

A Rainy Evening with Turn Signal
by Windshield Wiper


love
     me
love
     me
love
     me

I say
     swishing
back
     and forth

most of the time,
I'm silent

I can hear her
ticking
     left left left
or
     right right right
but cannot answer

ah, blessed rain
      that gives me voice

love
      me

I say
love
      me


she is quiet

oh can't we turn?

love
      me?

I say
love
      me?


right right right
she says.


© Tabatha Yeatts

I matched my car parts-in-love poem with The Civil Wars because it's hard to say how you feel sometimes...



Here are a couple of other communication-struggle songs...

***********

Mary Lee Hahn's narrator knows all about communication difficulties:

Ode to the Word on the Tip of My Tongue

You're so...
(I'm speechless)

Whenever you...
(I'm mum)

The best thing...
(I'm silenced)

I love how you...
(struck dumb)

© Mary Lee Hahn

I matched Mary Lee's poem with a word that helps in situations like that:



If you wanted to take a break from talking altogether, this song might fit the bill.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

Great start to my Monday! Thank you!

Margaret Simon said...

You and Mary Lee are too clever for words. What fun to read!

Mary Lee said...

So much fun! Thanks for including my poem!

katswhiskers said...

These are both adorable, Tabatha and Mary Lee.

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Ha! Communication Difficulties edition! Well done in the poetry department AND the match-up department. The one thing I noticed in watching the Civil Wars video is that for a song about communication problems, those two are TOTALLY in sync as a duo. Dynamically speaking. Quite amazing, really.