Friday, November 27, 2015

A different kind of feast

I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
~T.S. Eliot


I tried to find a complete version of Tom Hiddleston reading Eliot's The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, which eluded me, but I found this instead:


Tom Hiddleston is quoted as saying:

“I read this poem often. Once a month at least... Most of us are motivated deep down by a sense of insufficiency, a need to be better, stronger, faster; to work harder; to be more committed, more kind, more self-sufficient, more successful. We are driven be a sense that we are not, as we are, ‘enough.’ But this short poem by Derek Walcott is like a declaration of unconditional love. It’s like the embrace of an old friend. We are each of us whole, perfectly imperfect, enough.”

The Love Book app

The Poetry Friday round-up is at Carol's Corner.

10 comments:

Linda B said...

On Thanksgiving, we do look outward, I imagine never 'in'. This reminder that attention should be paid to oneself is lovely, Tabatha. Human nature does seem to be part of the ever-striving for perfection, isn't it? Thank you for reminding of another way.

Mary Lee said...

Thank you for this little present for my soul!

Julieanne said...

Perfect food for thought.

"Sit. Feast on your life."
Beautiful thank you.

Tara Smith said...

Such a rich, wise poem. "Give back your heart to itself" - so very hard to do...so essential. My daughter just parted ways with a longtime love, I read this poem as what I wish I could say to her these days.

Donna Smith said...

Worth listening to again and again and thinking on it. It's the type of piece that will have different parts poking at you at different readings for different reasons. Thank you for posting this!

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

Tom does a great rendering of this poem. I think a lot of folks see him as a movie start and don't realize his ability to act with just his voice - and with such a moving piece, too!

Carol said...

Wow! Such an important soul reminder! And there's just something about hearing a poem performed! I need to listen to this one three or four more times, at least, then find a print version to read myself.

Diane Mayr said...

I saw Derek Walcott many years ago--way before I started reading and writing poetry. I was quite impressed by him, and, his accent. I'm a sucker for an accent.

Robyn Hood Black said...

Yes- a beautiful voice and a beautiful poem. Thanks so much for sharing this, Tabatha.

Bridget Magee said...

"We are each of us whole, perfectly imperfect, enough." Needed to read (and hear) this today...and every day. Thank you, Tabatha. =)