Tuesday, September 8, 2015

In Which I Go On and On

I explained a while back that I have been studying ways that we can stay healthier naturally. I like having more tools at my disposal. My mom had vasculitis a couple of years ago that resulted in her going back and forth from steroids to antibiotics over and over. Those were pretty much the only tools in the doctor's toolbox for my mom, which was scary, because if those weren't going to work, we didn't have anything else. I'm not saying that I have been trying to learn how to cure vasculitis; I have just been learning about health as much as possible.

Health is a very personal thing, so it's good to have a lot of options because not everything is going to work for everybody. For instance, turmeric is anti-inflammatory, among other things, and most of my family can take turmeric capsules with no problems, but it upsets my teenage son's stomach. So I am going to let you know about some things I have had success with, but your mileage may vary, okay?

Some health notes:

* Recently my son was given four types of antibiotics (three intravenously) within a week (the short version: the doctors were afraid he had meningitis). When my husband was given intravenous antibiotics earlier this summer at the same hospital (short version: spider bite), the nurse brought him probiotics automatically. My son had a different nurse and doctor, and he wasn't given any probiotics so I had to ask for them. My point is that -- if all your bacteria is being decimated, you need to replenish your good bacteria. Some doctors will think to tell you take probiotics when they prescribe antibiotics, but some won't. You can seek them out on your own (unless you are in the hospital ;-)). I usually get mine from Whole Foods, but you can get them anywhere.

* Lavender essential oil has been helpful for us in a variety of ways. Recently, one of my kids started feeling nauseated on a car ride. I gave her some lavender eo to smell and she felt like that was the thing that kept her from being sick in the car. Thumbs up for that! Smelling lavender eo has helped me when I've had a headache (not a migraine, mind you, just a regular headache). My mom found lavender eo helpful to have when she was trying to sleep after having dental work done. (I have been using Thayer's Witch Hazel with Cucumber, but this Lavender Witch Hazel looks good, if you want something lavender-y for your face.)

* Let's talk about that incredibly potent spicy version of apple cider vinegar known as fire cider. Some folks use it in salad dressings. I add some to stocks and soups and I also have it nearly plain when I feel like I am getting sick. (I like to add a little ginger syrup -- if you haven't tried ginger syrup before, that is a subject for another day). Fire cider really cuts through mucus and I find it helpful when I have an annoying cough. I make it myself with apple cider vinegar, hot peppers, horseradish, onions, garlic, ginger. I let it steep a month (if I can stand the wait) and then remove all the non-vinegar bits. If you'd like to make it yourself, here's a Fire Cider recipe from The Kitchn. A company trademarked the name "Fire Cider," which is very much not okay with people who consider fire cider a longtime tradition that belongs to everybody. If you want to buy some already made, I would suggest checking Etsy under "fire tonic," where you will find Fire Tonic and Fire Lion (this one is less hot, I think), among others.


* This summer I spent time checking out Healthy at Home: Get Well and Stay Well without Prescriptions by Tieraona Low Dog, MD. Dr. Low Dog is a physician who is also an herbalist and she has a lot of experience with health issues of all kinds.

"Dr. Low Dog guides readers in identifying, responding to and caring for the most common ailments for the whole family...She clearly points out warning signs that let you know when more than self-care is necessary."

I have a lot to say about wellness, but I will stop here for now!

P.S. Rosemary Gladstar is the person who introduced many people to fire cider. If you'd like to watch a video of her teaching how to make it, click here.

3 comments:

Jone MacCulloch said...

I will check out that Dr. LowDog's book. When I had shoulder surgery a year ago, my naturopath told me to take: Arnica 200C as soon as possible after the surgery

Good info. I hate taking oral steroids and need to sometimes for asthma.

Jone MacCulloch said...

I will check out that Dr. LowDog's book. When I had shoulder surgery a year ago, my naturopath told me to take: Arnica 200C as soon as possible after the surgery

Good info. I hate taking oral steroids and need to sometimes for asthma.

Tabatha said...


Hi Jone,
Arnica is very useful, but I am not big on homeopathic stuff. I feel like I should also do a post sometime on things I am dubious about, like homeopathy (it drives me wild when people refer to herbalism as homeopathy), senna for weight loss (senna is a laxative herb), colloidial silver for anything, MLM essential oil companies.
Good luck with your asthma!