Thursday, August 6, 2015

Herons

If you were silent
Flight of herons on dark sky...
Oh! Autumn snowflakes!
~Sokan


My dog Lucy has turned me into a birdwatcher. When I take her for walks around our neighborhood pond, I often see the resident great blue heron. Sometimes I see a green heron or two. During the winter, I may see hooded merganser ducks. Recently, I spotted what looked like a snake bird, a cormorant, and a little blue heron, all passing through. I wish they would stay a bit longer.

Heron
by Jasper Oostland

Vintage Bird
artvintage1800s.etsy.com

Night Herons, 1896
by Otto Eckmann

Birds
by Virginia State Parks staff

Ardea herodias
by Peter Wilton

Roa Bricklane

photo by ém' Milie

Flummoxed
by Stan Lupo

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias, Florida, USA
by Andrea Westmoreland

Storks, Herons, Flamingos, Cranes and relatives at the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums site

3 comments:

Pop said...


Herons are so cool...loved the selection of photos/art.

The heron with the frog made me laugh, and "Flummoxed" held my attention for quite a while. :-)

Keri said...

Beautiful birds!!

Retta said...

Superfrog! ha ha, gave me such a giggle.