Thursday, October 2, 2014

Shôtei

Today we're viewing work by Japanese woodblock artist Shôtei, also known as Takahashi Hiroaki, who lived from 1871-1945.

Revolving Lantern and Bell Flowers
by Shôtei

Junks in Inatori Bay
by Shôtei

Night Scene
by Shôtei

Red Lacquered Gate
by Shôtei

Iris
by Shôtei

Tennoji Temple
by Shôtei

Moon Rising
by Shôtei

Rural Dance at the Feast of Lanterns
by Shôtei

An unrelated, but cool, quote by a woodblock artist who died before Shôtei was born:

...Of all I drew prior to my seventies there is truly nothing of any great note. When I was seventy-two I finally made out something of the shape of grasses and trees, the structure of birds and other animals, insects, fishes. Therefore when I become eighty I shall have made more progress; in my nineties I shall have penetrated even further the hidden meaning of things; at the age of a hundred I shall have reached the divine mystery, and at one hundred and ten even dots and lines will surely possess a life of their own.
~Woodblock artist Katsushika Hokusai, 1760-1849


3 comments:

Pop said...

I must admit that I began looking at the art pieces before I read your introduction, Tab. And I thought these are great, what?, watercolors?

That they were woodblocks just blows me away. Absolutely fantastic!

(And the quotation by Hokusai is marvelous.)

Author Amok said...

Beautiful, Tabatha. I especially liked the image of the junks. Some of these reminds me of the vintage postcards I saw at the Boston Museum of Art's exhibit from the golden age of postcards.

Irene Latham said...

That quote! I adore that positive look at aging and what it can bring to our art. Love it! And oh wow, the art!!! I think I like "Night Scene" best. Makes me want to write a story... thank you, Tabatha!