Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Grammar Fibs

Just tea for two and two for tea
Just me for you and you for me...
~Irving Caesar


I am having MFM (My Fib Month) during NPM (National Poetry Month). Not sure what a fib is? The short version is that they are poems with 1-1-2-3-5-8 syllables. Read this for a longer version.

I wrote some fibs to help folks who are trying to remember distinctions between words:

To/Two/Too

Too
true,
he said.
Two people --
in fact, you and me --
are just enough to have tea.

********

Who's/Whose

Whose
fib
is this?
Who's going
to take credit? Blame?
Maybe I'll raise my hand. Or not.

********

Your/You're

Mix
up
"you're" and
"your" and you're
going to have to
return to your teacher for help.

********

There/Their/They're

No
way
they can
keep their pants
up while they're running
with their trousers hanging down there.

********

It's/Its

Panda

Black
eyes,
white fur --
it's hard to
resist. Is it as
cuddly as its sweet looks suggest?

********

Commas

Lunch
with
Grandma
is better
when you say, "Let's eat,
Grandma," and not "Let's eat Grandma."

********

"ei"/"ie"

"e"
yields
to "i,"
unless "c"
comes first. Except for
weird words, like "neighbor," "beige," and "seize."

3 comments:

Linda at teacherdance said...

Each one is a gem, Tabatha! These are just the common errors I saw in with the middle school crowd. Maybe with your fibs? I'll share them with my colleagues!

Gregory K. said...

When
you
affect
new, real change
With your grammar Fibs
It will sure effect my affect

Or something like that!

Fun to see different ways to play with Fibbery. I would love to see a class create all sorts of rule definitions this way....

Tabatha said...

Yes, Greg -- "effect" and "affect"! Thanks :-) You're right, there are enough possibilities ("then" and "than," "lay" and "lie," "fewer" and "less") to keep a class busy creating grammar Fibs.