Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Wendell Berry

Sharing this again in honor of hearing Wendell Berry on the Diane Rehm show today. *love*

excerpt of VII
by Wendell Berry

I would not have been a poet
except that I have been in love
alive in this mortal world,
or an essayist except that I
have been bewildered and afraid,
or a storyteller had I not heard
stories passing to me through the air,
or a writer at all except
I have been wakeful at night
and words have come to me
out of their deep caves
needing to be remembered.

Adding him to my list of great voices. I am a fool for a charming Southern accent.

Links:
*audio files on his site
* Wendell Berry, American Hero by Mark Bittman

1 comment:

Harry said...

Great excerpt from Berry.

Can't tell you how many times I've awakened by a phrase coming out of my own deep cave. And sometimes I'm even awake enough to write them down. :-)