Monday, June 25, 2012

Smithsonian Folklife Festival


The Smithsonian Folklife Festival is an international celebration of cultural heritage which shares music, song, dance, storytelling, and crafts and cooking demonstrations with over a million people annually. It takes place at the National Mall in Washington, D.C.

Can't make it there? You can still listen to Smithsonial Folklife Festival radio and visit their Smithsonian Folklife Festival YouTube station.

Although there's a marimba in our house, what I hear coming from my basement doesn't sound much like this demonstration from last year's SFF:


I think maybe my favorite part of this BBC (Black Baptist Church) lesson is Ms. Burnett's explanation regarding what to do if you disagree with the pastor:


Lastly, click on this link for a great video about displaying the AIDS Quilt at the Folklife Festival.

1 comment:

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

This reminds me of the Clearwater Festival which I attended just last week...so much fun! The video about the AIDS quilt was lovely...thanks for sharing, Tabatha!