Thursday, December 15, 2011

Nutcrackers

The nutcracker sits under the holiday tree, a guardian of childhood stories. Feed him walnuts and he will crack open a tale...
~ Vera Nazarian

For this Art Thursday, we're looking at some classic nutcrackers, as well as ones that are a bit unexpected:

Cincinnati Pops

Nutcracker
by Maurice Sendak

Wild About Chocolate Nutcracker
by Glenn A. Crider

Jazz Nutcracker

Philadelphia Orchestra

Nutcracker in Seattle
photo by Jacob Metcalf

Nutcracker Poster

Swiss, late 19th century
Leavenworth Nutcracker Museum

Swiss
Leavenworth Nutcracker Museum

* Holiday Nutcracker Art Show
* Nutcracker Ballet Art Projects on Ehow
* Free Nutcracker scores from the International Music Score Library Project

1 comment:

Pop said...

If I were a graphic artist and someone assigned me to do something with the Nutcracker (Suite or otherwise), I would be in design heaven.

Nutcrackers are a wonderful invention. I think they're cool and one of my granddaughters *loves* cracking nuts with them. So I guess it runs in the family.

Thanks for all the wonderful examples. (Also, I'd never heard of Ellington's Jazz Nutcracker, so I'll have to check it out!)