Saturday, September 10, 2011

Everything But The Kitchen Sink

Throwing a few things at you...

* Silk: a fun interactive artwork site for all ages. Give it a try.

* A delightful post about public art.

* A book that actually shocked me:

Mary Lee recommended The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. It could be too soon for me to talk about it because I'm still processing it, but here go my scattered thoughts... I loved this book despite the fact that part of the way through I wasn't sure if I could keep going. (I won't say why, but if you read it and think you know what almost stopped me, feel free to email me and say, "Was it this?")

I am glad I kept going, even though the ending was absolutely horrible. Horrible in the sense that you HAVE to get the second book immediately.

It's like a horror novel, in a Lord of the Flies kind of way, but it has some of the best descriptions of love I've ever read.

I am not passing the book along to my thirteen-year-old, but I gave it to my sixteen-year-old to read a.s.a.p. so we can talk about it.


Updated on 9/28 to add: I know I'm pretty tender-hearted, but the second book was hard for me to get through. And some of the things that I liked about the first book were absent from the second. In particular, the main characters just didn't have the same kind of agency. (Is that the right way to put it? They were acted upon instead of doing the acting.) I expect that will not be the case with the third book.

No comments: