Saturday, March 5, 2011

Spikes, Ow!

In our basement, there's an area with a blackboard and an easel. It's a nice spot to have a "school" and my youngest child has been known to teach one of our cats there. She found some poems that I had printed out and asked if she could put a few up on the walls.

The thank you note she made me when I let her have the poems.

She taped up Macavity - The Mystery Cat by T.S. Eliot, which she picked because she thought it would appeal to the cat.

There's also The Contents of My Desk by Kenn Nesbitt (a good "school" poem).

The third poem she put up was Rhapsody, which is one of those poems that I would memorize, if I memorized poems:

RHAPSODY
by William Stanley Braithwaite (1878-1962)

I am glad daylong for the gift of song,
For time and change and sorrow;
For the sunset wings and the world-end things
Which hang on the edge of to-morrow.

I am glad for my heart whose gates apart
Are the entrance-place of wonders,
Where dreams come in from the rush and din
Like sheep from the rains and thunders.

William Stanley Braithwaite. Nice moustache, eh?

In addition to the printed poems, there's also a cinquain of hers, from when she was teaching the cat about cinquains:

Spikes
sharp, metal
pointy gray objects
fall in...you're doomed!
Points

So really, that was safety warning for the cat, as well as a poetry lesson.

3 comments:

Christina said...

I like the cinquain! : )

The Braithwaite definitely lends itself to memorization. I think I'll share that with my kids this week. Thanks!

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...

Doomed, eek! I didn't see the spikes, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...

Oh, the title. That'll be a lesson to me. If only I could remember it...