Thursday, October 14, 2010

Brains Full of Pulleys, Levers, and Gears

"Anyone who knew Violet well could tell she was thinking hard, because her long hair was tied up in a ribbon to keep it out of her eyes. Violet had a real knack for inventing and building strange devices, so her brain was often filled with images of pulleys, levers, and gears, and she never wanted to be distracted by something as trivial as her hair."
— Lemony Snicket from The Bad Beginning

I mentioned steampunk briefly before, but today I am featuring an array of steampunk items (from movies, plays, shows, prints), plus links.

Although I like the car I drive very much, I don't generally care about cars. When I saw this car in The Golden Compass, however, I couldn't help oohing and ahhing.

The Alethiometer
from The Golden Compass

This steampunk take-off on DaVinci's Vitruvian Man was a poster for a Dr. Grymm Laboratories art exhibit

A poster for a steampunk Twelfth Night

Clockworks IV
by Morgaine von Slatt

Golden Compass VIII
by Morgaine von Slatt

Links:
~ Girl Genius (a steampunk comic)
~ A list of recommended films in the Steampunk genre
~ Another list of steampunk cinema
~ Steampunk: Reclaiming Tech for the Masses (Time magazine article on steampunk)
~ Steampunk Home Theatre room
~ Steampunk Week on the Book Smugglers blog (info about steampunk books)
~ Steampunk Mad Hatter shoes
~ How to Make Easy Costume Goggles
~ How to Make A Transmuted Victorian Engineer's Journal (this is beyond my capabilities!)
~ Image Gallery from another steampunk Twelfth Night
Updated to add:
~ Steampunk Superhero Cards

3 comments:

Ben said...

Interesting, I had never heard of Steampunk before!

howsmydriving said...

I hadn't heard the term "Steampunk" either, but it certainly does fit.

Morgaine von Slatt's pieces are wonderful.

And my favorite Steampunk vehicles are from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Nemo's car and submarine. Fantastic ... literally and figuratively!

M Pax said...

My next novel is going to be steampunk. Great genre. Very popular in the US.